How to Tell When It’s Time to Downsize
June 27, 2020 | Senior Living
It’s not always easy to tell when it’s the right time to consider downsizing and preparing for the next chapter of your life. The process of downsizing itself can seem overwhelming and intimidating to some, so you probably have put it off as long as possible. However, downsizing can have many great benefits for you in the long run and help you enjoy your retirement to its fullest.
When Should I Downsize?
Timing is everything, especially when it comes to downsizing. Here are a few key signs that indicate you’re at the point in your life where downsizing makes the most sense:
- Retirement. As you begin to approach retirement, you are probably interested in making your savings last as long as possible and decreasing your yearly expenses. Being ready for retirement is a common sign that you’re ready to downsize.
- Overwhelming Housework. Are you no longer able to keep up with your household maintenance? A house can be a lot of work, and as you age, that work can seem more and more daunting. If you’re no longer able to keep up with your regular household maintenance, it may be a sign you should consider downsizing.
- Lifestyle Changes. Have you noticed you’re starting to feel bored, lonely or even depressed from a lack of visitors or social activities? If so, you may benefit from downsizing into a home that’s closer to friends, family and social activities.
4 Benefits of Downsizing Your Home
While making the decision to downsize may be difficult, there are truly so many ways you can benefit from moving into a smaller residence. Here are just some reasons people choose to downsize as they enter into the retirement chapter of their lives:
- It Saves You Money. When you downsize into a smaller space, you can immediately stop spending so much money on things like monthly home maintenance or repairs, furniture and appliances. Downsizing can help you prioritize your life and your belongings.
- You Can Finally Get Organized. Before you can complete the move and officially downsize into a smaller location, you have to de-clutter and organize all of your belongings. Once you start going through everything, you can really hang on to what is most important and eliminate the rest. This will give you some relief and a clean slate for your next home.
- You Can Live in a More Accessible Home. As time passes, you may notice that it has become more difficult to climb the stairs in your home, or that there are other physical barriers in your home that prevent you from enjoying it to its full ability. If you have any mobility concerns at all, downsizing will give you the opportunity to choose a home that’s safer and has greater accessibility.
- You Can Start a New Chapter. Downsizing your home can help you finally move forward and start the next chapter of your life.Although it may be difficult to leave the place you’ve called home the last few years, downsizing is a great way to embark on a new adventure and experience a new, simplified way of living. Since you’ll be spending less time maintaining your smaller home, you’ll get to spend more time participating in activities you enjoy like hobbies, traveling or simply just relaxing.
Find Your Next Home at CC Young
At CC Young, our independent living option is great for seniors looking to downsize and enjoy their retirement years to the fullest. We provide you with a more active, social and secure lifestyle where you won’t have to worry about time-consuming tasks like home maintenance or yardwork. Instead, all you’ll have to worry about is how you want to spend each day.
From exploring new opportunities to making new friends and relaxing, there’s always something to do in our community. Contact us today at 214-817-0489 to learn more about our safe, comfortable community that’s waiting for you. Go Back