It’s been with us since our founding in 1922: a deep calling to serve others. This guiding force continues to shape everything we do: how we strive to exceed expectations…how we grow…our character and culture as an organization…how we demonstrate our compassion, understanding, skills and knowledge…how we instill a deep sense of community.
Our past, and the present, show the impact we have on individual lives, on local communities, on families and our team members.
The Reverend Christopher Conley Young, a Methodist minister, realized his mission in life and began searching for “A home for aged women and mothers.”
Reverend Young resigned his pastorate and began raising money throughout Texas, Oklahoma and Louisiana. By Fall 1921, he had raised $75,000. Reverend Young passed away on October 18, 1921, at age 44.
CC Young Memorial Home received its charter as a home for the elderly.
The Women’s Auxiliary was organized.
The first permanent building opened across from Methodist Hospital in Oak Cliff.
Almost twenty (20) acres on West Lawther Drive were acquired in East Dallas at White Rock Lake.
Blanton Gardens, a concept ahead of its time featuring congregate style of living, opened to both men and women.
The Beauty Shop organized and run by volunteers, opened to residents.
The first half (southern section) of Young Building (now Lawther Point East) opened. Residents living in the Oak Cliff location moved to W. Lawther Drive.
The second half (northern section) of Young Building (now Lawther Point East) was completed.
The Miller Building (now Lawther Point West) was added, increasing the Health Center services for up to 244 residents.
The Personal Care Unit (now The Cove) was built for 60 residents unable to live independently, though not yet requiring nursing home care. It was one of the first in the State of Texas to be licensed as a personal care unit.
The Julian Thomas Center (now The Thomas) opened with 53 one and two-bedroom apartments for Independent Living.
Asbury Place (now The Asbury), a 3-story building with 78 one and two-bedroom apartments for Independent Living was completed.
Home and Community-Based Services were initiated, and Home Healthcare Services were made available to residents.
A partnership with Baylor HealthCare System was formed through the opening of a clinic on campus.
The concept and vision for the Learning and Cultural Arts Center (now, The Point) began with the implementation of programs designed for seniors and the surrounding community. Senior computer classes, support groups, mature driving program, fitness classes, art classes and lecture series are all now part of this vision.
CC Young became the only facility in Dallas (and one of only four in Texas) to be awarded accreditation with the Continuing Care Accreditation Commission. Ppened one of the first Adult Day Centers in Dallas providing respite for families caring for persons with dementia and Alzheimer’s Disease.
The Blanton (now The Hillside Assisted Living) opened, offering 66 private studio, one-bedroom and two-bedroom units. Refurbishment of the Miller (LPW) and Young (LPE) buildings were completed.
Personal Care Unit (now The Cove) was remodeled and enhanced to offer Assisted Living accommodations for residents with Alzheimer’s Disease and other forms of dementia.
Secured gardens were completed adjacent to The Cove. Rehabilitation and therapy services were brought in-house.
Re-certified by the Continuing Care Accreditation Commission, making CC Young the only Dallas accredited campus.
Hospice Program implemented and certified by the State of Texas to provide quality end-of-life care.
The Point, Center for Arts and Education opened, built with all-donated funds.
The Annie L. Stevens Center for Wellness & Renewal opened. Construction began on The Overlook, a six-story Independent Living building featuring 108 residences.
The Overlook opened in August.
Celebrated our 90th anniversary!
Phase I of the Central Park was landscaped and further development planned. The Blanton (now the HIllside) main floor and dining room were renovated. The Strategic and Master Plan for the next ten to fifteen years was approved by Board of Directors for immediate implementation.
Phase II of the Central Park completed. Renovations of The Asbury dining room completed.
The Pavilion in our Central Park was dedicated.
City of Dallas approved zoning for implementation of the complete Master Plan.
The Clinic at CC Young opened for Independent Living/Assisted Living residents.
The Vista Ground Breaking.
The Point celebrated its 10th anniversary!
The Vista Opens!
Last health center and memory support residents were moved into The Vista in February.
The Thomas was renovated. The Hillside residential floors were renovated.
A Story of unwavering dedication by CC Young Resident, Don Michel
In the fall of 1917, the Reverend Christopher Conley Young finished his sermon at the Tyler Street Methodist church in Dallas, stepped down to greet new members and met his fate. An elderly woman of 85 who had no money, no relatives, and no place to go, asked,” Can you find me a place to live?”
Reverend Young did some research and found no solution for her or other widowed women of that time. He was so moved by her plight that he resigned his pastorate in 1919, and, with the blessing of the North Texas Conference, for the next few years undertook the task of establishing a home for aged women by securing funds and developing an interest in building a retirement home.
According to the 1921 North Texas Conference Journal, within 2 years, he had raised $75,000 in cash and pledges for The Methodist Retirement Home. His dream was to become a reality! But just as they were about to purchase the land next to Methodist Hospital in Oak Cliff, Christopher Conley Young died on October 18, 1921, at age 44.
The Conference was so moved by his unwavering dedication that they carried out his plans. The Conference honored him by changing the name to “CC Young Memorial Home.” This was the first Methodist facility for the elderly in Texas.
When choosing your retirement community, there are many factors to consider. We believe chief among these is the operational status that drives the community. At CC Young, we are non-profit. That means we are able to deliver many advantages that for-profit retirement providers may not or cannot provide.
Non-profit, faith-based organizations like CC Young have a shared ministry to care for seniors. We are mission and vision-driven with a focus on quality. At CC Young, our growth and stability are evidenced by our almost 100 year history. We are continuously assessing ongoing improvement. We practice compassionate profitability so we can achieve longevity and continue to develop programming and amenities for our residents.
Our continuum of care and off-campus services enable everyone to access the quality services they need, when they need them. All of these services are provided with person-directed care, respecting the needs and desires of the individual.
As a non-profit, everything we do is for the benefit of our residents and our community.
We are overseen by a board of directors who share our mission of enriching the lives of those we serve. Board members are volunteers who serve with no expectation of financial gain.
We invest all revenues to further our mission of service. That means reinvesting in our community.
Our true bottom line is not about annual profits. It’s about the impact we make on enriching the lives of our residents.
CC Young is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization that adheres to a non-sectarian, equal housing policy and welcomes and respects all faiths.