Why is it Important for Seniors to Socialize?
June 12, 2020 | Senior Living
Socializing plays a significant role in overall health as you age. When you participate in activities like spending time with family and friends and joining community events, you are actively improving your physical and mental health. Maintaining a regular, socially active lifestyle can help you avoid feeling isolated, lonely or depressed and can improve your overall sense of well-being.
5 Benefits of Socializing for Seniors
According to this study published in the Annals of Family Medicine, socialization has many benefits for your mood, health and overall well-being. Here are just a few of the benefits found from engaging in social activities with family, friends and neighbors:
- Reduced Stress Levels. When you are more socially active, you tend to experience lower levels of stress and are able to handle pressure and stress better. This can help increase your cardiovascular health and allow you to have an improved immune system.
- Longer lifespan. High levels of socialization with your friends, family and the people around you may be able to help increase your longevity. When you socialize consistently with friends and family, you increase your levels of trust and decrease your levels of stress. Stress hormones can take a physical toll on your body, so reducing them can have a positive impact on your longevity.
- Reduced Risk of Depression and Anxiety. Consistent socialization reduces the likeliness that you will encounter depression caused by isolation and loneliness. When you are consistently engaging with others and taking part in conversations, activities and events, you are less likely to feel lonely and in turn will most likely experience a boosted mood.
- Increased Self-Esteem. Socialization can help you maintain your self-esteem and sense of worth. When you continually make connections with others and engage in conversation, you are improving your social presence and demeanor. This in turn can help you to feel more confident in yourself.
- Cognitive Benefits. Positive social interactions on a consistent basis can help keep you stimulated, mentally sharp and intellectually engaged. Improving the cognitive areas in your mind can help prevent general cognitive decline, which includes health conditions like memory loss, Alzheimer’s disease and dementia.
3 Ways Seniors Can Socialize at CC Young
At CC Young, we pride ourselves on the ample amount of opportunities our residents have to socialize with one another. Here are just three ways you can be active and engaged in our communities:
- You Can Participate in Wellness Classes. Whether you attend an energizing yoga class, balance training or chair aerobics or take part in our CCY Walking Club, we have many activities to help you stay both socially and physically engaged and active in our community.
- You Can Take Advantage of Community Resources. At CC Young, we provide a variety of community resources to keep you active. We offer workouts at our fitness center, bible study, movie matinees, senior tech computer classes and access to our Point Library. These features are all designed to help you stay socially active and avoid any feelings of isolation or loneliness. There’s also always something scheduled on our event calendar to ensure you have a way to engage with others in our community.
- Dine with Friends and Family. When you dine with us, you will find freshly prepared meals by award-winning executive chefs and always changing menus to ensure you have a unique dining experience every time. You’ll be able to socialize over a delicious meal with friends and family morning, noon and night when you decide to join the CC Young family.
Live a Socially Active Lifestyle at CC Young
At CC Young, our evolving community is the perfect place for you to experience the best version of yourself. It’s your turn to live the socially active, healthy lifestyle you’ve always wanted to. You will find a variety of opportunities to be socially active through our various events, amenities and services.
When you become a part of our community, you have the opportunity to experience cultural growth, personal development and an enhanced quality of life. Feel free to contact us at 214-817-0489 with any questions you may have on our community, amenities and services.Go Back